Tiramisu for Christmas

The night before we left for our Christmas holiday at the beach I finished my Tiramisu dress. I wore it travelling down here and wore it again on Christmas day. Here it is modelled on a post French Toast for breakfast amble.

IMG_1814

The pattern is Tiramisu by cake patterns. It is Steph’s first commercial pattern and it is a great design.

IMG_1812

I made the 35D bodice, 35 waist and lengthened the skirt by about 3 lines. The fit is very good, it even sits under my bust, not over. There did not seem to be enough stretch in the neckband so I shortened it and stretched it on more than directed. This was a mistake as it now pulls up too much. Live and learn!

IMG_1815

Pockets! very useful. This pattern is just made for stripes and I love the chevron effects. The shoulder cover is just perfect for summer out and about. I used a striped cotton – elastane jersey from Spotlight and I’m happy with the quality of the fabric, which I do not say that often about Spotlight.

IMG_1813

This dress was really perfect for the relaxed family day we had, and I was really happy to have something new to wear.

A pattern review is here.

I hope that you all have had a lovely Christmas, holiday or solstice celebration. I have certainly enjoyed being away with extended family enjoying the beautiful Victorian coast. Even if it is a bit bracing for swimming!

IMG_1781

IMG_1779

Advertisements

Mushroom dress and new cutting table

I’ve been thinking about my lack of sewing productivity and my frustration with that, and came to the conclusion that it was the tracing and cutting phase that was just too hard. This is because I was working on the kitchen table which required clearing away after every tiny snatch of ┬ákid-free time I found.

IMG_1421

Ta da! One cheap folding table from Bunnings. I am very lucky that I have room for it. I felt immediately unblocked and started cutting out a dress I had been planning for ages.

IMG_1442

The mushroom dress! Very twirly.

IMG_1448

The pattern is Ottobe 01/2012-13 Green Butterfly, the velour dress on the cover. It is offered in sizes 86-122, basically toddlers and preschooler sizes, so I graded it up one size to a 128. I was using up remnant fabrics, and I had very little left, especially of the gorgeous mushroom print knit (from Crafty Mamas), so I had to change the height and width of the tiers. There is also some unusual seaming in there, each tier is made up of whatever number of pieces I could eek out.

IMG_1441

The pattern is really designed for a younger child than my 5 year old, and I found the bodice to be quite wide and short.

IMG_1444

I basically totally ignored the instructions, doing a contrast bound neckline instead of the hemmed neckline suggested (note to self cut 4.0cm strips for a 1.0cm bound edge next time, 3.5cm is not quite wide enough).

IMG_1437

I gathered the tiers with pulled threads instead of elastic, and I hemmed with a curved stitch, one of the few ‘fancy’ stitches my 30 year old mechanical machine has.

IMG_1439

The colours are VERY bright, but it’s super twirly, has sleeves so it’s kinder friendly (unlike the rest of her dresses which do not meet the sunsmart requirement and hence have to be worn with a t-shirt underneath), and best of all, Althea loves it!

IMG_1450