I’ve done a little yarn dyeing lately. I really do enjoy it. I started out dyeing because I wanted to create beautiful hand-dyed multicoloured yarn of the type that sells for much more than I am willing to pay.
I decided when I started dyeing I chose Landscape dyes and bought a mixing set Chamomile (warm yellow), Wattle (cool yellow), Grevillea (hot pink), Desert Pea (fire engine red), Marine (blue), Kingfisher (turquoise), and Currawong (black). I also bought a how to dye guide from Three Irish Girls. It was well worth the money. There is a lot of dyeing information online but having a well researched, comprehensive instruction set was a great place to start.
The base I used is Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 8ply. My aim was 300g of green yarn to make a jumper (sweater) for Julian. I was aiming for leaf green and ended up with this pallid lime.
I used the Kettle Dyed Solids method with extra measures to increase marbling in the skein – dry yarn, a hot dye bath and no salt. You can see that the three skeins each took the dye quite differently.
I used 6L of water and 6tbsp of Wattle stock solution and 1tbsp Turquoise stock solution.
The other 100g is earmarked for a hat for Althea. The plan was a red and purple multicolour using the method for Kettle Dyed Varigated Colours which is a low water method. I’ve had a lot of trouble getting good dye penetration into the skein using this method and this was no exception.
Yuk. I used three different colours using different quantities of Desert Pea and Marine: Red (3tbsp Desert Pea and 1tsp Marine); Reddy Purple (2tbsp Desert Pea and 1tbsp Marine); and Purple (1tbsp Desert Pea and 1tbsp Marine).
I was really disappointed with both yarns so back into the pot they went!
The green I over dyed using the same method but 8L of water, 18tbsp marine and 16tbsp chamomile. I really much prefer the greens made with a pure blue rather than turquoise. Tealy blue-greens are so much more appealing to me than lime-yellowy greens.
The purple-red I over dyed using one deeper dye bath with 3L of water and 7tbsp grevilla and 3tbsp marine.
I think Althea will much prefer this pinky purple than the cool purple I made before. The red patches show through the overdying in a subtle way that I like. Overall I am now very pleased with both yarns.
Even better, I got to play with a yarn swift and ball winder for the first time! Thanks so much Renee and Megan!!